All too often when women are dealing with fertility issues, all that is examined is the uterus from a medical perspective. Women are rarely asked what has been going on in their life, or what other factors may be at play. In my work with my holistic fertility clients, I’ve found that there’s always an emotional cause to the physical problem. When that emotional problem is addressed, the physical issue doesn’t need to be there anymore. It’s not unlike the check engine light in your car – the light turns on when something isn’t optimally functioning so that you know to replace it so that the car can continue to take you where you need to go. When the light comes on, you don’t automatically think, “Oh my god, my car is totalled.”
But that’s just what we tend to think of our bodies when it’s not producing the way we want it to.
I would invite you to consider that your body isn’t failing you, but is instead giving you a heads up that there’s something you need to examine in your life. This idea has been explored throughout Traditional Chinese Medicine, Ayurvedic Medicine, and practitioners like Louise Hay, Evette Rose, and even Edgar Cayce. Each part of the body corresponds to a different emotional condition, and the more you are familiar with it, the more adept you can become at spotting where you need to do some work.
Today we’re going to look at one of the more common reasons that women struggle with fertility issues – ovarian cysts and develop fibroids. First, we will look at them from a scientific perspective to define them; and then move to the emotional causes, and what you can do about them.
Ovarian cysts are fluid-filled sacs that sit on the ovaries. Most of the time they’re harmless but when they rupture it can be more serious. Symptoms include pelvic or abdominal pain before period or during sex, fullness/heaviness in abdomen and a dull ache radiating to lower back & thighs. Fibroids are firm, rubbery masses on the uterine tissue. While almost never cancerous they can wreak havoc with heavy, painful periods, prolonged periods, pelvic pressure and constipation. Both can affect the reproductive process.
In terms of each part of the body representing something different emotionally, the ovaries and uterus represent the point of creation. This is where life is literally created. It is also the area of the sacral chakra, which represents relationships, creativity, and children. The mental/emotional cause of cysts and fibroids are “nursing old hurts.” This usually has to do with hurts from past relationships – either not getting closure, or feeling like you wasted your prime baby-making years with that person and are hanging on to hurt or resentment about that. It can also be from a current relationship. Relationships include romantic, friendships, work partnerships etc.
They are little pods of hurt or anger literally inhibiting your ability to create. Your body is saying, “Hey, you think we processed this a while ago. Maybe we did to a certain extent but there’s some residual stuff lurking here and we need to address it so that nothing is inhibiting our ability to create.”
Here are some things you can do to begin processing and releasing it:
- Trace back to when you got the cysts/fibroids (approximate if you don’t know for sure). Look at what was going on in your life at the time – relationships, breakups, work relationships, anger at partner or self for “wasting time,” guilt- strict parents/religious beliefs around sexuality, etc. Look at all areas of your life at that time and dump it out on a piece of paper called a “brain dump.” There’s no structure to this – just keep writing until you feel like you’re done. It’s important to write it as your brain processes it differently than just thinking about it. Look through each sentence and ask if it’s serving you to hold this in your body anymore. Ask yourself why it was purposeful (it was – so see if you can find why in the grand scheme of your life, it makes sense that it happened and what you learned from it). Then either outside, or safely in your kitchen sink, burn it. Burning it represents a ceremonial, “I’m done and I’m choosing to move forward.”
- Close your eyes and visualise a white or gold cord from your heart to theirs. Tell them how hurt you were. Say what you need to say – cry, yell, plead, etc. Then take a deep breath and see if you a can find a place where you can thank them for the lessons and their part in your life; that you’re done and moving on, and you wish them well on their path. And cut the cord with a chop motion with your hand (You may have to do that several times to really connect to the feeling of it). Put a hand over your heart and fill the hole where the cord was with warm white light and seal it off – sort of an energetic cauterising so that that cord from that person can’t ever plug into/drain you again.
- You can also try visualising one cyst/fibroid at a time, and surround it with light and as you visualise it shrinking, that relationship was purposeful, I release it with love and move forward. Again, several times. Visualisation is such a helpful tool if you can make it work for you. One of my clients got rid of ovarian cysts this way, one client got rid of scar tissue from a previous dnc in her subsequent cycle, one increased her egg quality, and one doubled her dangerously thin uterine wall lining all by visualisation.
- Sometimes playing soothing music and/or burning sage/incense/scented candle can help you keep your focus.
- We often are not nourishing ourselves on this journey. We are in push or survival mode more often than not. So, see if you can come up with 5 ways to nourish yourself. They don’t have to be epic, expensive things, but little things you can do that are just for you. As one of these things,
I’d suggest a Linden Flower infusion to reduce inflammation alternated with a Red Clover infusion to help regulate your hormones with ZERO side effects. Visit fusionfertility.com for the recipes.
We tend to give up all of our power to the doctors, to the condition, to the fear of what could be. You have much more power on this journey that you realise, and examining this condition from a different perspective is just one way to take it back. Going inward to inquire and listen to your intuition will serve you immensely on this journey.
All the best on your journeys mamas.